Syrian rebels finally recognized as legitimate authority
Other countries to follow suit.
The U.S. government has recognized the Syrian opposition coalition to be the "legitimate representative" of the nation, according to President Obama on Tuesday. In a sense, the declaration now makes Assad and his henchmen the rebel element and brings legitimacy to the opposition. Other nations are likely to follow suit.
According to ABC News, the proclamation allows the U.S. to deal with the opposition as the representatives of the Syrian people, but Obama has stopped short of saying he will arm them.
Interestingly, the opposition has already benefited from an influx of arms, and has scored several high-profile victories against pro-Assad forces in recent days, even shooting down several aircraft with shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles.
Officially, the U.S. government is not arming the rebels because according to the president, there are factions within the coalition that are considered extremists and may even be allied with al Qaeda.
Obama said, "Not everybody who's participating on the ground in fighting Assad are people who we are comfortable with. There are some who, I think, have adopted an extremist agenda, an anti-U.S. agenda, and we are going to make clear to distinguish between those elements."
Some opposition groups have even resorted to suicide bombings in civilian areas to strike at Assad and his supporters, attacks which the U.S. government condemns. There are legitimate fears that al Qaeda in Iraq may be trying to hijack the rebellion.
However, a successful hijack is unlikely, since many Syrians are more secular in their values and lifestyle than in many other Islamic countries.
The U.S. has also made clear to the opposition that these extremists elements cannot play a part in Syria's political future is U.S. support is to be assured after the end of Assad.
The President's public statement is expected to be the first of many similar declarations as other leaders around the world join the U.S. in recognizing the opposition.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?