OC shooter was avid video gamer - Los Angeles
Motive for killings remains a mystery.
A young man who went on a shooting spree last week, killing three people before turning the gun on himself, was an avid video gamer according to his family. Ali Syed went on a shooting spree last Tuesday, during which he committed several assaults, murders, and carjackings, before shooting himself to death.
Ali Syed went on a shooting spree last Tuesday. He killed three people as well as himself.
Described as a loner, Syed earned his diploma from Junipero Serra Continuation School and was enrolled in a single class at Saddleback College. He was unemployed and lived at home with his parents who say that he had plenty of time to spend on video games.
Early Tuesday morning, Syed shot and killed a young woman who was in his room. His parents did not know she was there. She was reported to be fully clothed and there were no signs of sexual assault. Syed's parents suggested they may have had an argument when he fatally shot her with a shotgun his father bought him a year earlier.
Syed fled his house in the family SUV and began a spree which would result in two other deaths of innocent bystanders, including a man who stopped to help Syed after he wrecked another vehicle he had stolen on is rampage.
Syed also shot at motorists as they drove on the freeway.
Eventually he was spotted by the Highway Patrol and during their pursuit he jumped from his vehicle and shot himself in the head, dying instantly.
Authorities still have no motive for his actions. There are no letters, emails or other details which may suggest why he acted as he did.
The killings add more fuel to the national debate over gun laws and what should be done to better protect people from gun violence, if anything at all.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Ali Syed, shooter, killings, spree, gun control, video games
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?