A list of what Jesse Jackson Jr. bought using his misspent campaign money
Could face sentence of 4 years or more.
Former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. pled guilty in court today on charges that he conspired with his wife to steal away $750,000 in federal campaign finds to spend on his lavish lifestyle. He could face several years in prison.
Among the charges, Jackson Jr. managed to spend $243 on a teddy bear.
The documents reveal that in January, 2006, Jackson opened a bank account under the name "Jesse Jackson Jr. for Congress" and in the year that followed he withdrew $43,000 for a Rolex watch. He also took $14,000 to pay down personal credit card debt.
He purchased a number of other items, which prosecutors listed.
-$60,000 on dining out, nightclubs and lounges
-$31,000 on airfare
-$17,000 on tobacco shops
-$16,000 on sports clubs
-$14,500 on dry cleaning
-$8,000 on groceries
-$7,000 on taxidermy
-$6,000 on drug stores
-$5,800 on alcohol
-$4,000 for a cruise
-$243 for a "Build a Bear"
In all he made about 31,000 personal purchases using campaign funds.
Jackson was caught in an FBI sting involving two elk's heads he had a taxidermist prepare. An undercover agent offered to pay $5,300 for the heads, and Jackson asked for the money to be wired to his personal account. This was the start of the FBI sting which eventually resulted in his arrest.
Jackson apologized as he left court today, and is now facing a potential sentence of about 4 years.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Jesse Jackson Jr., sentence, campaign funds
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- The Storm. The Whirlwind. The Earthquake: Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is Guilty, America is Complicit
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?