Teenager survives nail shot through heart
19-year-old Argentinean man has nail manually removed in hospital
A 19-year-old carpenter in Argentina who was accidentally shot in the heart with a three-inch nail has miraculously survived after delicate surgery. The unnamed man was rushed to hospital Buenos Aires last after the bolt was fired by a colleague into his chest.
In addition to the teen in Argentina, only three people in the world had ever survived such an injury - in the U.S., Australia and Poland.
The man underwent two hours of surgery at El Cruce Néstor Kirchner Hospital.
Doctors decided not to remove the nail immediately as it was "acting as a stopper and preventing a hemorrhage," executive director Arnaldo Medina said.
"In the operating room, we proceeded to open the breast bone very carefully because there was a risk of hitting the nail and enlarging the heart wound," Dr. Marcelo Nahín told newspaper reporters. "With the nail visible, we performed a manual removal of the foreign body, which was embedded in the anterior right ventricular."
"The patient has recovered well and he is now off the ventilator," Nahín said.
According to Medina, only three people in the world had ever survived such an injury - in the U.S., Australia and Poland. This was the first time they had ever seen it occur in Argentina.
On the topic of nail guns, Medina warned "They are powerful and easy to operate as they increase productivity, but they are also responsible for around 37,000 visits each year to emergency rooms in hospitals in the U.S."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Nailgun, Argentina, injury, surgery, safety
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- What Did Pope Francis REALLY Say About Atheists?
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- According to map, China leads world in atheism
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?