MTV expands human trafficking awareness campaign
MTV taking to social media around the globe to raise awareness.
The popular MTV channel is addressing the issue of human trafficking, via social media, with a concentrated effort to raise awareness about the issue. The channel is participating in an escalating global fight against an industry that employs more slaves today than ever existed at any other time in history.
The MTV channel has recruited an international band of youth to assist in getting the message out. Many come from Southeast Asia where human trafficking is a major problem and in addition to targeting American audiences, audiences in Southeast Asia are also being aggressively targeted.
Indonesia has one of the world's largest and most active social media communities outside of the U.S. with more than 70 million users combined, so it makes sense to recruit, and promote the cause in that region. Indonesia is also a hotbed of activity in human trafficking.
However, critics say social media campaigns have limited reach, despite the millions , or rather billions of people connected online. The problem is one of economics. Those most likely to form the first link in the human trafficking chain, for example parents who sell their children, or the victims themselves, are also the least likely to be connected to a social network. Many victims come from rural communities without electricity.
This is true throughout the world.
However, proponents counter that those most likely to facilitate trafficking, including potential customers, are networked and can be reached. Many people still do not realize the gravity of the problem and willfully ignore the logical likelihood that the people they are abusing are victims forced into the act, rather than voluntary participants.
Despite these realities, most of the people who participate in political processes in all countries tend to be networked. It is here that the greatest untapped reservoir of political will resides. If public awareness about the magnitude and severity of the problem is sufficiently raised, then perhaps politicians will take notice of what their constituents say and address the problem in a meaningful way.
Unfortunately, the great pandemic of human trafficking is only growing. Profits in buying and selling other human beings are higher than ever, creating a tremendous incentive to deal in the trade. Virtually every person in the world, particularly in the industrialized world, is a recipient of some product brought about in part by slavery.
For example, large quantities of the cocoa harvested for chocolate in Africa is gathered by human slaves. That means when you consume chocolate, you may, in some part, be financing illicit trade.
And the trade happens in the industrialized world as well. Even in the United States, many prostitutes, including children, are actually brutalized victims.
However, just as campaigns to educate the public about "blood diamonds" in the last decade were successful in educating the public about the horrors of the African diamond trade, so it is hoped that awareness campaigns about human trafficking will help promote change in the world of modern slavery.
The MTV Channel is undertaking a major effort to do its part and it is hoped the issue will catch on with the youth, and incite them to activism. For it is with these youth that the hope for a better tomorrow resides.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- The New Evangelization: Exorcising the Demon of Obtuseness
- As he did in Argentina, Pope Francis walks the Roman streets at night to hand out money to needy
- Pope Francis' colorful past: he once worked as a nightclub bouncer
- Argentinean government nominates Pope Francis for Nobel Peace Prize
- Standing up to bullies, girl says, 'I have a tumor, that's all'
- Pope Francis sends young almoner to do charity in the streets, and possibly sneaks out himself!
- Eternal Shadows or Shadow Makers? Read this inspiring tale of adventure!
- Pope Francis meets with Israel's Netanyahu
- 'King Money' has failed humanity, Pope Francis says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?